We can offer Parent Carers support to help care for children with additional needs in a number of ways:
- DLA Forms: We have trained volunteers to help complete Disability Living Allowance (DLA) forms.
- PCNA: We can complete a Parent Carer Needs Assessment with you and develop a plan together addressing issues raised during the assessment with a view to providing appropriate support and information. Parent Carers have a legal right to this assessment and can request it at any time (please note this assessment is only available for Carers in the Durham area) This can be completed online or follow this link.
- Team Around the Family: We may be able to support you at a Team Around the Family meeting.
- Signposting & pointing you in the right direction: We can signpost you to the wide range of local, regional and national organisations offering specialist Parent Carer support.
- Peer Support Groups & Training: Link you up with peer support groups or training opportunities.
We also keep in touch via our regular newsletter and email updates.
We have lots of support available and our workers will be happy to discuss your individual situation with you and advise the best avenue for support.
Who Needs a PCNA?
Not everyone needs a PCNA but if you want one we can complete a PCNA with you and develop a plan together addressing issues raised during the assessment with a view to providing appropriate support and information.
Parent Carers have a legal right to this assessment and can request it at any time (please note this assessment is only available for Carers in the Durham area). You may benefit from a PCNA to identify if an Early Help Request is needed or other support can be put in place. It can also be useful to share with other professionals involved in supporting your family. Click here for our online PCNA
You don’t have to have a PCNA to access other support we offer such as:
- Carer Breaks
- Carer Discount Card
- Help to claim benefits for you and your child
- Grants and Bursaries
- Support at TAFs
- Signposting and referrals to other Support Services
- Benefits Check
Downloadable documents for Parents, Schools & Professionals
What Carers have told us about this support:
“As a Parent I never thought of myself as a Carer. I didn’t realise what support was available to me until I registered with Durham County Carers Support”.
“I was so pleased to be awarded DLA as a result of the volunteers support from DCCS. I Couldn;t thank them enough”.
“One of the Parent Carer Team attended TAF meeting with me and I really felt like I had someone there who knew what support I needed as a Parent. ”.
“I needed a PCNA for an Early Help Request. I was able to chose weather to do it online, over the phone or in person. I was so pleased to realise it was a simple process ”.